From trackside camping to 5-star hotels in the centre of Budapest, here are the best places to stay for the 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix on July 30 to August 1.
All images © F1Destinations.com. The Editor attended the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2008, 2014, 2018 & 2019. Support the future development of F1Destinations by reserving your accommodation with free cancellation through the Booking.com links on this page. We also recommend adding accommodation to your Official Ticket Package from F1 Experiences.
Budapest offers accommodation to suit all budgets and the city offers exceptional value for a European capital city, even on Grand Prix weekend. The Hungaroring circuit is located around 12 miles (20km) northwest of the city center. Camping at the circuit is a popular option, but we prefer to stay in the center of Budapest and soak up everything this grand European city has to offer in the summer.
Camping at the Hungaroring
Fans from all over Europe make the annual pilgrimage to the Hungaroring, and many of them choose to camp next to the circuit. The atmosphere is excellent, though it can get a bit rowdy and drunken at times. If you have small children or know that you need a good night’s sleep, you would be better off choosing alternative accommodation in Budapest. Our pick of the camping at Hungaroring is Zengo, the only permanent campsite next to the track. Camping prices are dependent on how many nights you want to stay for and how many people will be staying at your camping lot, but start from €190 for 1 lot (2 persons, 3 nights) . Get more information and buy with our partners Grand Prix Tickets.
Where to stay in Budapest?
- Districts: the best place to stay is in the city centre of Budapest, preferably on the flat Pest side of the city where most of the city’s best shopping, restaurants and bars can be found. Don’t discount staying on the pretty Buda side though if you want a quieter stay; get a hotel near a stop on the Western end of the red Metro line for trains to the circuit. (More in Getting There & Around)
- Hostels: there are plenty of well-rated hostels in the center of the city, most of which are close to the metro and offer decent access to the circuit. Dorm beds generally cost around €15-20 per night.
- Apartments: worth considering, particularly for a family or group of friends who are keen to keep costs down. Most apartments range in price from €80-120 per night for a studio or one-bed apartment suitable for two adults, up to €150-200 per night for larger two-bed apartments which will sleep 4-6 adults.
- Hotels: Budapest has a decent selection of hotels at prices a fraction of what you would pay in Western Europe. Even on Grand Prix weekend, the prices for visiting F1 fans are still competitive. Not too many F1 destinations offer such great value.
Recommended places to stay for the 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix
Arranged in order below from cheapest to most expensive are our recommended places to stay for the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Quiet neighborhood close to the city center and Metro, right next to the Danube.
- Clean, non-smoking rooms with free WIFI. 24 hour reception, common kitchens on each floor.
- Dorm bed for €20 per night.
- Next to the Déli pályaudvar metro station on the Buda side, close to the castle district and chain bridge.
- Free WIFI and air conditioning in all rooms.
- Standard double/twin room from €75 per night
- Next to Kalvin ter metro, an excellent central location close to many bars and restaurants.
- Decent sized rooms with air conditioning, satellite TV and free WIFI.
- Standard double room from €100 per night.
- Highly-rated 4 star hotel on the banks of the Danube, close to Margaret Island
- Most rooms with river views
- Indoor swimming pool and two-level fitness club
- Double room from €180 per night
- Famous landmark hotels, located within reach of many of the city’s best sights.
- Beautiful indoor swimming pool
- Large air conditioned rooms with free internet (wired and WIFI) and satellite TV
- Superior double/twin from €340 per night.
- Modern five-star luxury in downtown Budapest.
- Large well-appointed rooms with nice views of the park, city or Fashion street.
- Indoor swimming pool.
- Superior double €330 per night.
- Located in a beautiful historic building in the center
- Part of the exclusive Autograph Collection of hotels
- Spa with sauna, steam bath and relaxation room
- Superior 40m2 double room from €500 per night