Everything you need to know about flights to Bahrain and how to get to Bahrain International Circuit for the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix on March 26-28.
Bahrain International Circuit will now host back to back race weekends as part of the updated 2020 F1 calendar on Nov 27-29 (Bahrain GP ) and Dec 4-6 (Sakhir GP), but these races will not be open to spectators.
Bahrain International Airport (BAH) is situated just east of Bahrain’s capital, Manama. This is the home of Gulf Air, the flag carrying airline of Bahrain, which offers direct flights from the Middle East, Europe and parts of Asia (but not Australia, the USA or the Far East). On the ground, the best way to get around is to hire a car or via Uber/taxis as public transport is limited in Bahrain and doesn’t serve the Sakhir circuit. The race organizers also put on free shuttle buses from the airport to the circuit and to to/from selected hotels during race week – more information below.
A recent diplomatic crisis in the Middle East has seen Qatar hit with sanctions by several of its neighbors. Flights from Qatar are currently not permitted to land in most major gulf cities, including Bahrain. As a result, we don’t recommend flying with Qatar Airways to the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Getting Around in Bahrain
- Taxi travel is the most convenient option for getting around Bahrain for a few days, though always make sure that the meter is visible and switched on or agree your fare with the driver before the journey begins. Tourists are frequently stung by inordinately high fares by taxi drivers pushing their luck. If in any doubt, politely ask your driver to switch on the meter, as the law states that a fare is free if the meter is not in operation! Reputable companies include Speedy Motor Taxis (+973 1768 2999) and Arabian Taxi (+973 1746 1746). A taxi from the airport to Manama should cost around 6 BHD (€15 EUR) and a taxi from Manama to the Sakhir circuit should cost around 15 BHD (€35-40)
- Uber now operates in Bahrain, so download the app and take advantage of the security of competitive, flat fares and cashless transactions.
- Another option for travel to and from the track and around the city is a private chauffeur-driven car, which can be arranged by your hotel if preferred. You will pay a little more than a taxi, but the cars and service levels are better. Good limo companies include Bahrain Limo (+973 3966 6482), Bahrain Limousine (+973 1756 4545) and City Limo (+973 3334 9004).
- Renting a car can also be a good way to get around in Bahrain. Petrol is cheap at around $0.50 USD per litre, but remember that there is zero tolerance for drink driving.
- Public buses are good for getting around Bahrain if you are on a budget, but they don’t service the Sakhir circuit. You can take the A1 bus from the airport to the center of Manama, one-way tickets cost just 250 fils (less than 1 EUR). Click here for more information.
Free Shuttle Buses to the Bahrain Grand Prix
- The information below relates to 2019, but we expect a similar offer for the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix. This page will be updated when more information is available. Check the 2019 transportation poster.
- Airport to Hotels: air conditioned shuttle buses operate from Bahrain International Airport to selected hotels (see list below) from Monday to Sunday (March 25-31). From 05:00-12:00 & 15:00-01:00, every 45 minutes. You may need to show your race ticket to board.
- Airport to Circuit: buses also go directly from the airport to the circuit from Thursday to Sunday (March 28-31): 06:00-16:00, every 45 minutes
- Hotels to Circuit: buses travel from selected hotels to the circuit from Thursday to Sunday (March 28-31): 10:00-16:00, every 45 minutes.
- Circuit to Hotels & Airport: buses depart Bahrain International Circuit for select hotels and the airport every 45 minutes from 18:00-23:00, Thursday to Sunday (March 28-31)
- Hotels to Airport: you can also take the shuttle bus from selected hotels to the airport after the race. Available on Sunday and Monday (March 31 and April 1) from 20:00-23:00, every 45 minutes.
- The following hotels are on the free shuttle route for 2019, but you should be able to use the bus if you are staying nearby: Gulf Hotel, Ritz-Carlton, Intercontinental Regency, Sofitel, Downtown Rotana, K Hotel, Best Western Plus The Olive, Ramada City Centre, S Hotel, Swiss-Belhotel Seef, Domain Hotel, Wyndham Garden, Crowne Plaza, Diplomat Radisson Blu, Reef Resort & Spa, Sheraton, Jumeirah Royal Saray, Fraser Suites Seef.